Sunday, January 10, 2010

Invisible man?


Yesterday, in town, I saw a former classmate of mine. It was raining, and he didn't have an umbrella, so I called out to him and he came over gladly. Then he asked me who I was.

Shocked is not the word. True, in the four years that we studied together our paths rarely crossed. True, I lived my life on the sidelines, hardly noticed by many. But this was a person to
whom I had talked to about six, seven months back. And now his eyes were blank. He simply could not,hard as he tried,locate me. In fact he did not even recollect my face.

Maybe my specs did the trick. Or the kilos I've piled on in the last couple of months.

Or maybe, he has forgotten me. I have vanished from his living memory. I do not as well as exist. I guess this is what you call death, when you no longer exist in anybody's mind.Sigh.

I parted ways with him near a shopping complex, pretending that I had to buy something. How could I walk under my umbrella any longer with such a stranger? He did ask me my name, but I never told him. I was not in the mood for a new relationship.

Rest In Peace.

No comments: